Sunday, December 4, 2011

Shopping with a Purpose

It isn't hard for me to admit that I love shopping.  But what I love even more than just shopping is shopping with a purpose.  I am not talking about going to Target with the purpose of buying Up & Up fabric softener.  I am talking about using my buying power to make a difference.  In this case, it was making a difference in the lives of very young girls in Oakland.  The boutique committed to at least 25% of the proceeds (many vendors gave a lot more!) going to New Day for Children

New Day is a grassroots organization that is seeking to combat the evils of human slavery & sexual trafficking of young girls.  This is a huge weight on my heart, especially because Oakland is a hub for trafficking activity.  New Day seeks to provide safety and holistic healing for each of the girls.  Though this type of care is not nearly as expensive as moving these girls in and out of "Juvi," it does have a cost.  New Day is committed to having each girl fully funded before entering the program, which does mean that girls have been turned down when there hasn't been money.

In steps my friend Natalie.  She felt a burden to use her gifts to raise money for New Day so that one day, no girl would ever be turned down due to lack of funds.  Natalie is the creator of Natterbugs.  She makes the most amazing lotions, soaps and body products.  They smell so yummy!  And they look even yummier!!


Natalie was the one who rallied everyone together to sell any and all beautiful handmade items and donate a portion of the proceeds to New Day.  This year was the 2nd year for the boutique and what a blessing it has been!  I know it took a toll on Natalie and our other lovely friend Wina (who has the amazing ability to make everything look like it came together without lifting a finger - aren't you jealous of people like that?!) So tonight I just want to say, "Thank You!" to you beautiful ladies.  You do amazing things and I am inspired by you!

Don't worry... I have pictures of the boutique (well, I tried to take pictures in the middle of my shopping and chit-chatting!) on my camera and will get those up soon.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out from up on my soap box.
Now it's your turn...
"What is your favorite way to shop with a purpose this Christmas?"

No comments:

Post a Comment