Friday, January 25, 2013

Antique Mirror Project

On the day I made my daughter's Hair Clip Frame, I went ahead and spray painted a few more things that I had hoped to hang on my daughter's wall one day.  One of those things was a vintage/antique (Note: I still don't know what term to use.  Any help on that would be greatly appreciated!) mirror that I found in my grandparents' garage the last time I was there.  I am sad to say I don't know the story behind it, but figured since it would be hanging in my daughter's room rather than collecting dust in the garage that my Nonnie (Rest her soul) wouldn't mind me taking it and spray painting it.

It is one of those cool mirrors that has the mercury spots starting to show and the frame itself is very ornate.  I did a quick search to see if I was destroying some precious piece by layering on a couple coats of bright paint, but came up empty handed.  So I went with the idea that it was better off being used and bright than "antiquely" original and left to collect dust.

Since it had been professionally framed, I couldn't remove the mirror for the paint process.  I went ahead and slid some paper under the frame in a gap between it and the mirror and taped it down.  I did the process a couple times for good measure.  Then I took it outside and sprayed away.  After a couple of coats, it turned out beautifully!  I am so pleased.



Here is the mirror with tape removed alongside the other projects of the day.  I am only sorry that I didn't snap a before to show you.



I have a few more things I am working on for the wall above my daughter's bed.  When it all comes together I will post a picture.  She will be 2 in a couple of months and has lived in a room with her brother since she was born.  I really wanted to get something in the room that was special for her - something that let her know that she wasn't just an afterthought.  A surprise - YES - but an afterthought - NO!  I bought a reproduction of an art piece when she was just a baby that has kind of inspired this.  It has some words on it that are taken  from this passage of scripture:

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:17-19

So I pray that for not only my daughter, but for you today - That you may know the depth of the love of the Savior and be filled to the point of overflowing with this amazing God!



1 comment:

  1. Antique mirror can increase the beauty of your home interior by giving it a vintage look. But it should be taken with great care as discussed above so as to increase the life of these antique items. Thanks for such a great post.
    Vogue living

    ReplyDelete